Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Couch to 5k

I am not a runner.
Not even a jogger.
I love to walk.
I love the elliptical.
I like to bike.
I don't like to run.
All that being said, I suddenly feel compelled to train to run a 5k. Yeah, I can't explain it but I'm so into it and excited!
I'm using Active.com's couch to 5k app. I'm a week in and I feel like my $2.99 was well spent.
The idea of the program is to slowly bring you into the runner's fold with 3 workouts per week for 9 weeks.
For example: this week my workout was 30 minutes long and began and ended with a 5 min walk. During the 20 minutes between I alternated jogging and walking. The jog was a minute long and the walk was a minute and a half. {All you have to do is grab your headphones and the app will prompt you when to run and when to walk. The app will even access your tunes so you can create a perfect 30 minute playlist.}
In the coming weeks the the jog will increase and the walk will decrease, culminating in me {hopefully} rocking a 30 min run!
I will admit that week one was hard. I am soooo out of shape.
{I need to take a moment and be sad because a year ago I was pregnant, doing yoga, going to the gym and I birthed a baby...sans epidural. I was in pretty darn good shape and I am 30 pounds heavier than the day I delivered. Let's be more sad and say that I lost a lot of weight while I was pregnant, in a healthy way, so I was a head of the game... moving on}
However, I did not see myself doing all of the runs that first day. But I did. When the little voice in my head said "Alright,  let's jog" I did it! At the end I was winded and tired but felt pretty awesome!
I will keep you posted but I feel good about this program! We have our first race on Saturday, just a 1k, but I am so excited!
HERE'S TO FULL ON RUNNING A 5K IN JUNE...IN TEXAS. Wait...we may have to rethink this ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment