Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Small Victories

I completed my first race yesterday.
It was just a 1k (.6 something of a mile) but I did it.
It took a long time.
What I learned yesterday was that my time didn't matter.
It mattered that I got out there.
I have to start somewhere and a slow 1/2 mile is where I am right now.
I thought I would be embarrassed by being so slow but I wasn't.
People were still cheering when I came across the finish line and Will (who could have ran the race in a 1/4 of  time) stayed right by my side and let me set the pace.
Everyone out there was working at a different pace.
My Point: Don't wait till you can run a race well. Run it now to push yourself. 
I didn't do great by some standards but I hit a personal best.
I did better than I thought that I could and it made me want to keep up the hard work.
Toward the end I thought I was done for. I didn't want to run trough the end.
Then I saw the finish line and just took off!
I don't get that feeling when I finish a run in my neighborhood.

I have my first 5k on May 15th and I probably won't be able to run the entire thing but I will be out there doing my best, taking the next step and I won't be alone. There will be other run/walkers out there just like me.

So get out there...you won't be alone!


No comments:

Post a Comment